Why not try making some tasty spaghetti Bolognese, really easy to make, super filling and packed with vitamins when made from scratch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g/14oz beef mince
- 1 onion,
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 100g/3½oz grated carrot,
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock
- 400g/14oz dried spaghetti
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and once hot add the beef mince and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the mince until well browned over a medium-high heat (be careful not to burn the mince. It just needs to be a dark brown colour). Once browned, transfer the mince to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the saucepan you browned the mince in and turn the heat to medium. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and fry gently for 5-6 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the grated carrot then pour the mince and any juices in the bowl back into the saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir well to mix. Pour in the stock, bring to a simmer and then reduce the temperature to simmer gently for 45 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and rich. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- When ready to cook the spaghetti, heat a large saucepan of water and add a pinch of salt. Cook according to the packet instructions. Once the spaghetti is cooked through, drain and add to the pan with the Bolognese sauce. Mix well and serve.